Easy Sweet Potato Casserole
Sweet Potato Casserole is not only a holiday favorite but an anytime favorite for kids and adults alike. What’s not to love? It can have nuts of some sort, usually pecans, to give it crunch and texture. Then you have marshmallows, brown sugar, and those very wonderful sweet potatoes.
Sweet potatoes are so versatile that you can get really creative and surprise people with tummy loving goodness.
If you love sweet potatoes be sure to try this recipe. Change it up to suit your needs and be mindful of food allergies.
Sweet Potato Casserole
The smell of hot sweet potato casserole baking in the oven is the scent of baking with love in my house. When the spicy scent wafts through the rooms everyone knows it’s going to be a special dinner night and the entire family is expected to show up for it.
- 4 cups sweet potato, cubed
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Start by preheating the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Put the sweet potatoes in a saucepan with enough water to cover potatoes.
- Cook over medium high heat until tender; then drain and mash.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sweet potatoes, white sugar, eggs, salt, butter, milk and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
- Transfer to a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In medium bowl, mix the brown sugar and flour. Cut in the butter until the mixture is coarse. Then stir in the pecans.
- Sprinkle the mixture over the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven about 30 minutes, or until the topping is lightly brown.