Easy Red Beans and Rice Recipe
Red Beans and Rice are a family tradition. My mother has made them for years to go with fried chicken or smoked sausage.
Red beans are typically dark red kidney beans. This recipe is so simple anyone can make it in a hurry if you use instant rice. If you prefer slow cooked rice you can do that too and have a wonderful meal with that home cooked flavor.
Red beans and rice can have any number of meats in it too. You can slice smoked sausage or kielbasa, or crumble cooked sausage in it.
Red Beans and Rice Recipe
Whatever your preference you can use this recipe to make it perfect for you and your family or guests. You can add or subtract peppers, change up the meats, or you can make it vegan.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 (16 ounce) package turkey kielbasa, cut diagonally into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- 2 (15 ounce) cans canned kidney beans, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a medium saucepan, fill with water and bring to a boil.
- Put the rice in and stir.
- Turn the heat down, cover it up, let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Start cooking the sausage in a large skillet.
- Stir in the onion, green pepper and garlic and saute it until tender.
- Pour in the beans and tomatoes with juice.
- Season with oregano, salt and pepper.
- Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Serve over rice.
Red Beans and Rice Recipe Video
Pictures of Red Beans and Rice
Need a little inspiration for your dinner tonight? Check out the following photos of yummy looking red beans and rice. Follow the recipe above to create your own tasty side dish for dinner.