Beginner’s Turkey with Stuffing
Are you hosting a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner for the first time? You are going to need this fast and easy turkey recipe for beginner’s. Cooking a turkey for the first time doesn’t have to be intimidating.
Just follow my very simple beginner’s recipe for turkey dinner that includes a great tasting stuffing.
To get started on this very simple recipe, just gather the ingredients below and then follow the very easy recipe cooking directions.
You will also find a How To Cook Turkey for Beginners video. I highly suggest spending a few moments to watch this very useful video.
How To Cook a Turkey for Beginners
- 12 pounds whole turkey
- 1 (6 ounce) package dry bread stuffing mix
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 slices toasted white bread, torn into small pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Rinse turkey, remove giblets and place in a shallow roasting pan.
- Prepare stuffing according to package directions. Mix in water.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and slowly cook and stir the celery and onion until tender.
- Mix celery, onion, and toasted bread pieces into the stuffing, and season with salt and pepper.
- Loosely scoop stuffing into the turkey body cavity and neck cavity.
- Rub the exterior of the turkey with vegetable oil.
- Loosely cover turkey with aluminum foil
- Roast 3 1/2 to 4 hours in the preheated oven, until the thickest part of the thigh reaches 180 degrees F (85 degrees C) and the interior of the stuffing reaches 165 degrees F (70 degrees C).
- Remove foil during the last half hour of cooking to brown the bird.
(photo credit Andrew Dickinson)
How To Cook a Turkey for Beginner’s
Thanksgiving Day Turkey Pictures