Cracker Barrel Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Have you ever been to Cracker Barrel and had their macaroni and cheese? Are you wishing you could make the Cracker Barrel macaroni and cheese recipe at home for yourself or for your kids?
Here is a simple recipe for a macaroni and cheese dish that turns out just like the creamy macaroni and cheese side dish that makes so many kids smile when they go out to eat at Cracker Barrel.
Follow along my quick macaroni and cheese recipe to learn how to make a similar macaroni and cheese like Cracker Barrels.
Man I am hungry just thinking about it. If you haven’t been out to eat at a Cracker Barrel yet, I suggest you stop by and order a mac and cheese!
If you just want to make a homemade mac and cheese that is similar to Cracker Barrel’s, follow this quick and easy recipe for mac and cheese.
Cracker Barrel Mac and Cheese Recipe
I was a “back up cook” for a year and a half at my local Cracker Barrel. In that time I probably baked a million mac and cheese recipes for Cracker Barrel. The reason Cracker Barrel’s mac and cheese is so tasty is because it is baked! Baking mac and cheese allows that crunchy crust to form on top and makes the rest of the dish so creamy.
Servings – 6 Total Time – 40 Minutes
Amount Per Serving Calories: 437 | Total Fat: 233 | Cholesterol: 77mg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2 1/2 cups shredded colby cheese
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked pasta
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium low heat; add the flour a little bit at a time whilst whisking to make a roux.
- Heat the broth.
- Next, add the broth to the roux, and stir with the whisk; this will thicken as it heats.
- Add a little cream, watching for the desired consistency.
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a separate pot; add salt and pasta.
- In the other pot, add shredded cheese a 1/4 of a cup at a time whilst stirring with a spoon. When you have about one cup of cheese in you can add the rest of the cheese.
- Cook the pasta until al dente; strain and combine with the cheese sauce.
- Pour the mix into a casserole and bake uncovered in a preheated oven set to 350°F for about 10 minutes.
- Keep an eye on the mac & cheese, you want it to brown around the edges and in patches on top.
- Remove and let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!