Beef Tips and Gravy
Beef Tips and Gravy is one of those southern meals that makes you warm and comfortable. Home cooked meals are a great way to bring them all to the dinner table or to pack lunches for work or school for the week.
Beef Tips and Gravy is also a great way to use even some of the tougher less expensive cuts of meat. When you can find it on sale, buy it, cut it, and freeze it until you are ready. When the time comes just slow cook the meat in the crockpot or simmer it for about an hour until it is tender. You will be surprised how delicious this Beef Tips and Gravy recipe will make that meat you bought on sale.
Another reason to make this recipe is its versatility. You can make rice or potatoes for the gravy, or even pasta if that is your choice.
Beef Tips and Gravy Recipe
Don’t forget to add a vegetable with your Beef Tips and Gravy meal. Sweet peas or green beans, maybe even steamed cabbage make nice choices to round out this perfect meal. My favorite add on is crook neck yellow squash.
- 1 1/2 lbs beef tips
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- Add salad oil to fry pan and saute the beef tips until they are browned. In your dutch oven, add water, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and a pinch of salt. Cook covered on low heat for about one hour.
- Add sliced onions and cook additional 30 to 40 minutes on low heat, being careful to not let all water boil out. (You will need at least 1 1/2 cups of water left as gravy.).
- In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in water and pour into beef mixture mixture. stir well and cook an additional one minute while gravy thickens.
- Serve over rice, noodles or mashed potatoes.